Monday, October 3, 2011

Decisions, decisions.....................

after weeks of being completely distracted by trying to work out what sort of dolls I would like to make, hours of watching and rewatching numerous sculpting videos, fiddling around with paperclay and experimenting I have made a decision ~ Raggedy Anne styles made using clay over cloth techniques!!!!!
It all started with a workshop at Artful Gathering with Christy Meyers of CCsWhimsies to create this JOL sculpture:
she still needs to be "dressed" but that requires a trip to Spotlight to get some black tulle. I rarely finish a workshop, but just loved the techniques, and the result, in this workshop.
After a few more attempts I was really happy with the results but wanted to create my look. After investigating more realistic face sculpting and some playing around I decided that I wanted to create dolls in the style of Raggedy Annes that weren't full cloth dolls but somewhere between realistic and whimsical sculpts.
I then found Cloth and Clay Dolls and after numerous viewings of Jane's videos decided to have a go at a clay over cloth doll with the ideas I had in my head. I had been struggling with how to add hair to clay dolls in the syle of Annie, but not necessarily mohair wigs. Think I have solved that problem, but still need to experiment.
And here is the result of my first attempt at a clay over cloth doll.

The base is a basic cloth doll that is firmly filled. I then applied paperclay over the head and shoulders and created boots on her feet. Her arms are also paperclay. She's currently 'baking' in a very low oven to quicken the drying process ~ I'm a bit impatient!!!!!
Tomorrow she will be sanded, painted and antiqued.
Really will need to take a shopping trip to get some appropriate fabrics for her clothing.
Maybe then I will be able to move on with the bears, these dolls have had me so distracted that production on the bears has ground to a standstill.

Off to check the oven.............................

Hugs........................Leanne

2 comments:

  1. Hi Leanne. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I love your blogs too, your work is beautiful. I would be happy to ship to Australia.

    Blessings
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it's good for creativity to become a little distracted sometimes ... awful though when you become as distracted as I have been lately!
    Hugs,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete